Monday, November 17, 2008

Passions in any form

Last week I watched the CMA awards show. I love country music! Although I am not a Vols fan, one of my earliest memories was standing outside in our front yard on our 100 acre farm, and singing "Rocky Top" at the top of my lungs! Like it our not, there is a lot of soul in country.

While I love to watch Carrie Underwood perform, the hightlight of my CMA night was watching Kid Rock perform "All Summer Long." I love that song! Why? My goodness, you say, it mentions whiskey and sex and an unknown "smoking" substance! And, you would be right about that. I think the thing I like is the passion behind the song. The song is about a man looking back on a summer when it all came together....a summer full of passion.

Wouldn't we all like to live like that? Full of life and passion in our day? I believe Adam and Eve must have felt a similar passion in the garden. They had each other, a beautful place to live, their needs provided for without all of the stress of our current, crazy world. That was until they believed there was more than what they were experiencing.

Clyde and I have simplified our life in the last few months. We want no more of the facades of life. We want time for each other, time with our kids and time to fulfill the passions God has given us in our life. It is amazing how quickly life can become a rat-race, chasing down goals that rob us of today and the things that really matter. I am sure Adam and Eve would have loved to be back in the garden after they saw what they had traded it for: death, hard-work, and pain. Not that I am against hard-work! There has to be balance, right priorities, and joy! That's why "All Summer Long" is a favorite. Letting go and just enjoying........

No comments: